Festival of Trees
We would like to thank each and every one of you for your contribution towards 22 wonderful years of the Festival of Trees. It has truly been magical." - from the Festival of Trees Board of Directors.
The Festival of Trees has given over $4.3 million dollars to local health care in the past 22 years... and now it’s time to say Good-Bye and Thank you.
February 19, 2013, Peterborough, ON - Festival of Trees Peterborough has been one of the longest running Festival of Trees events in North America, spanning over two decades. This annual event has raised millions of dollars for health care in this community. Looking back to the first year (1991), each of the three beneficiaries received about $2,300. This grew in the 1990’s and early 2000’s to a peak of about $100,000 per beneficiary in 2004.
It was 2007 when Festival of trees organizers recognized the need for change as the program at the Memorial Centre was met with declining attendance, high costs and feedback from the community that something different was needed. In 2011, after 20 years at the Memorial Centre, the organization decided to try a new approach in the downtown, rather than ending the festival. Given the long history, the organizers felt that it was possible to create something new, so they made a commitment to try the downtown concept for two years.
- After long discussions about the future, we’ve decided that it is time to turn out the tree lights and reflect on the accomplishments of 22 years of the Peterborough Festival of Trees.
- To our thousands of creative and tireless VOLUNTEERS for their immeasurable number of volunteer hours.
- To our CORPORATE SPONSORS who stepped-up every year and sponsored trees, events and donated their time and resources.
- To members of the HEALTH CARE COMMUNITY, who generously donated their time and money to support the Festival over the years.
- To the PEOPLE of Peterborough and area who joined us in making the festival such a big part of the community for so many years.
There are no words to describe the passion and dedication that we witnessed. Thank you!
What next? Our three beneficiaries, The Peterborough Regional Health Centre Foundation, Hospice Peterborough and the Greater Peterborough Health Services Foundation will still need the support of this community. We ask that each of you continue to support them and their efforts.
We sincerely hope that the Festival of Trees brings fond memories to all and continues to serve as a reminder of how fortunate we are to live in this generous community.
Please direct all further communications to the Festival of Trees Gmail account, firstname.lastname@example.org